Spaghetti Pie II
This spaghetti pie is quite like lasagna in flavor but it is much easier to prepare than lasagna. Bake in an 11-inch quiche dish. A pie pan is too small.
- 1 24 ounce jar of spaghetti sauce, use a meaty flavor such as Italian sausage or use your favorite flavor [Meat based flavors suit this dish best.]
- 9 ounces dry gluten-free spaghetti noodles (OR 6 ounces dry spaghetti noodles)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or Monterey Jack)
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 pint (16 ounces) ricotta cheese, low fat is fine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese OR cheddar cheese
- Grease quiche dish with butter. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour spaghetti sauce in a small sauce pan, cover and place on the stove to warm. Sauce does not have to simmer, but it is good for it to be at least very hot. Meanwhile..
- Prepare spaghetti noodles as directed. And while the noodles are cooking ...
- In a small bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, and 1 teaspoon salt until well blended. Set aside.
- When the noodles are done, pour into a colander to drain. Do not rinse the hot pan ...
- Add to the hot pan- 2 tablespoons butter. Do Not put the pan back on the hot stove eye. Let the butter melt and then add the drained noodles back into the pan.
- Add to the noodles- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and 2 beaten eggs. Stir until the cheese, eggs, and noodles are well mixed.
- Check the sauce. Is it hot? If the sauce is hot, turn off the stove.
- Pour the noodles into the buttered quiche pan and spread out over the bottom of the pan. Spread the noodles up the sides like a crust.
- Spread the ricotta cheese mix on top of the noodles. Spread out the cheese over the noodles, but not up the sides.
- Pour the spaghetti sauce over the ricotta cheese.
- Bake in the 350 degree F oven for 40 minutes. The sauce on top should have some bubbles rising.
- Remove from over and sprinkle the top with the 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese OR cheddar cheese and place back into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for around 15 minutes. Slice and serve. Serve with a salad. Serves 6-8.
Recipe from Homeschoolforms.com, Site Maintained by Donna Young, of DonnaYoung.org