Lemon Sponge Cake - No Flour - Gluten Free
This recipe is from a container of Manischewitz Potato Starch. I've made it once as of this writing [May 7, 2010] and it was very good. It had a nice texture and was light.
- 7 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, sifted if lumpy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind [use fresh]
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice [use fresh]
- 3/4 cup Manischewitz Potato Starch, sifted
- dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Get your two piece 10 inch tube pan. Do not grease the pan.
- Prepare the grated lemon rind and juice, set aside. Separate six of the eggs. Set aside the whites for now. Beat the six yolks and one whole egg until frothy. To the eggs add the sugar, the lemon rind, and the lemon juice, beating constantly and thoroughly. Then gradually add the sifted potato starch stirring constantly to ensure thorough blending.
- Beat egg whites with the salt until stiff but not dry. Fold gently but thoroughly into the egg yolk mixture.
- Place in ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees F.) about 55 minutes or until cake springs back when touched gently with fingers. Invert pan and cool thoroughly before removing pan.
Recipe from Homeschoolforms.com, Site Maintained by Donna Young, donnayoung.org